Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

Does this bring back good memories . . . or bad?
For my husband, it's not so good.
(I've only made it twice since I've been married--he hates it that much.)
Last week, I decided we needed an Irish meal for St. Patty's Day
and I settled on Shepherd's Pie (to my hubby's chagrin).
But I made it my way: I baked a chuck roast. (No Hamburger!)
Then I chunked it and simmered it for several hours in our favorite BBQ sauce.
For the last half hour, I added oodles of smashed potatoes
and melted colby jack cheese on top.
NO VEGGIE SURPRISES:
NO CHUNKS OF ONIONS, TOMATOES, GREEN BEANS, ETC.
No Carrots, No Peas.
Lo and behold, my husband loved it.
And ALL of the kids ate it, too . . . even my meat hater.
Score one for mom!
Oh and the leprechauns visited and left behind a pot of gold (candy).
They magically turned the pancakes green.
A jar of applesauce was mysteriously changed from yellow to green.
Those tricky little guys!

8 comments:

Lori said...

That looked mighty tasty. My kids have gone on a hunger strike...not really. I've gone on a cooking strike. No more hot meals until they stop complaining....

Pirate Princess said...

Oh I've never been brave enough to let those pixies change the color of my food.... lol!

Sounds like a nummy twist on an old favorite!

Anonymous said...

Omission of pesky vegetables? Hm. It just might work . . .

Wendy

Mandy said...

Yum. That sounds really good. I think I would really like it better without the hamburger.

When are you guys coming down next?

The Clarkes said...

Maybe I'm just crazy but I like the veggies in my Shepherd's Pie. Sounds like a delicious twist though. We are excited to see you guys this weekend!

La Mujer Loca said...

Okay, I'm wondering which one of you is "The Clarkes" (because I can't access your blog)?

And we did have veggies, just on the side. My kids don't like everything mixed up . . . until it gets to their stomachs:D Picky eaters, huh? I wonder where they get that from:)

Anonymous said...

That looks very yummy.... mmmm now I'm hungry! :-) What fun! I forgot to dye my kids food green on St. Patty's day - bummer - I usually do. Sounds like fun, and glad they liked it!

Enjoying the Journey said...

I think that sounds fabulous! Better than corned beef and cabbage, which is what I tried one year many moons ago--Jeff was not pleased! Luckily my neighbor loved the stuff!