Monday, December 15, 2008

Musical Junkie & Christmas Stockings

So, I've got nine days to finish two Christmas stockings.
The first four stockings I did for the boys are needlepoint
and I wanted to do something quicker for these last two stockings.
So I bought some kits for felt applique stockings.
I thought they'd be all done except gluing everything together
and attaching them to the stocking.

NOoOo! My mistake.
I have been stem stitching, backstitching, sewing on sequins and beads,
tying french knots, stuffing, and making pom poms.
My thumbs are sore from needle pricks (good thing I'm not Sleeping Beauty).
I think it is faster than needlepointing, but not as quick as I'd like.
ANYWHO! I've gotten out my VHS movies
and have been watching (mostly listening) while sewing the first stocking.
(Can you believe I'm going to try to get both of them done in the next week?)
My favorites last week were
"Anne of Green Gables,"
"Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,"
and "Kiss Me Kate."
The kids haven't seen them--they're so old--
and are sneaking to watch them with me,
when they should be doing chores or on their beds going to sleep.
Like my mom said, it's the fun part of doing these projects: watching movies.
I'll brush the dust off the Doris Day movies
and pop those in the VCR this week.
Think of me--sewing--and my sore fingers.
On my siDeBAr, I've posted my favorite songs
from Kiss Me Kate and Seven Brides. Enjoy.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Ok we totally have the same movie taste! I love all of those! And I am the worlds biggest Doris Day fan! Beck

Lori said...

YAY!! Seven Brides For Seven Brothers has got to be my all time favorite ever since I watched it with my Dad on PBS one year ages ago. Sorry about your fingers. Know what makes that feel better...ice cream. Yep...you're supposed to hold it not eat it... hehehehehehehe

Mandy said...

I didn't grow up watching musicals, so Peter suggested I watch one with Doris Day...and I got it! I love her. This makes me want to get all of those musicals again and enjoy them. And, by the way, your blog is my girls' favorite now that we have DSL. They love the music that comes up.

Enjoying the Journey said...

I'm totally jealous--well, not about having to finish two stockings in one week, but the other part about the old movies! AWESOME!!!

Rebecca Talley said...

Love Doris Day.

You're such a woman doing stockings by hand!

Marsha Ward said...

I LOVE those three movies. In fact, I just watched "Anne" a couple of weeks ago via Netflix. Gotta buy it! I'll have to get "Seven Brides" out and watch it again. Maybe on Christmas Day. I don't have "Kiss Me Kate," but have always loved it. Gotta buy it, too!

Christine & Greg Thackeray said...

Wow, your blog is incredible! I love Kiss me Kate and Seven Brides too. We always liked the youngest brother the best. And laugh till our sides hurt at the femmy polecat number.

Have a great holiday!

Pirate Princess said...

I kidnapped my sister's VHS version of "Happiest Millionaire", one of my faves. :) I told her she could have it back when she traveled back up to visit - it should only take her a yr or so to get it back. LOL!